“Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.” – Mason Cooley
“Books are a uniquely portable magic.” – Stephen King
Two of my favorite things are quotes and books. Hence, the quotes about books to start this post off with.
I love reading books. Ever since I was a kid, I have found the power of a good book enthralling. A good book can sweep you away to another realm, make you believe in something simply for the sake of believing, and fill your heart and mind with an indescribable magic.
I also love that books are always there for me. Wherever I go, they are faithful, loyal, and unwavering with their presence. They sit with me while I sip my coffee, they go on walks, they keep me company on long bus or airplane rides, they stay up as late at night as I want, and they are even willing to chill with me on the toilet. I love them. They obviously love me. It’s a mutual relationship. But I must admit, I am never satisfied with them and what they have to give. I want more.
Therefore, I have started to compile a list of books that I would like to read. I wish to hold them in my hands, flip through all their pages, and see all the secrets they’ve got hidden between their nice firm book-ends. Yes, I’m obsessed with books.
Here is the start of my list of books to read, and if you have suggestions, please share!! No need to get clingy, because as they say, there’s always plenty of other books in the sea.
- On the Road – Jack Kerouac
- The Count of Monte Cristo – Alexandre Dumas
- The Chronicles of Narnia (whole series) – C.S. Lewis
- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn – Betty Smith
- Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass – Lewis Caroll
- The Little Prince – Antoine De Saint-Exupery
- Atlas Shrugged – Ayn Rand
- The Lord of the Rings Series – J.R.R. Tolkien
- The Secret Garden – Frances Hodgson Burnett
- The Prophet – Kahil Gibran (Brandon reading)
- The Pillars of the Earth – Ken Follett
- The Old Man and the Sea – Ernest Hemingway
- The Complete Stories and Poems – Edgar Allen Poe
- The Five People You Meet in Heaven – Mitch Albom
- The Essential Rumi – Rumi
- The Sun Also Rises – Ernest Hemingway
- Out Stealing Horses – Per Petterson
- Going After Cacciato – Tim O’Brien
- Heart of Darkness – Joseph Conrad
- Mrs. Dalloway – Virginia Woolf
- As I lay Dying – William Faulkner
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest – Ken Kesey
- The Bell Jar – Sylvia Plath
- Beowulf – Anonymous
- Metamorphosis – Franz Kafka
- Their Eyes Were Watching God – Zora Neale Hurston
- Cider House Rules – John Irving
- The World According to Garp – John Irving
- The Crossing – Cormac McCarthy
- Cities of the Plain – Cormac McCarthy
- Dune – Frank Herbert
- Gone With the Wind – Margaret Mitchell
- Looking for Alaska – John Green
- Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen
And here are some more quotes about books to end with. Because I love quotes and books.
“Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home.” – Anna Quindlen
“Keep reading. It’s one of the most marvelous adventures that anyone can have.” – Lloyd Alexander